The GPCS4 (PS4) emulator project was just started. It’s a project done for fun, and for technical research. The only reason the developer have started this project is for learning 3D graphics.
The emulator FPS is very low, because there are currently no optimizations.
GPCS4 will recompile all the shaders, untiling all the textures and upload all the buffers every frame, making it less efficient.
Besides, there are still some problems in the game pad emulation. They will try to resolve these issues incrementally.
There is still some hard-coded test code, but with more design, and most importantly, using our shader translator. There won’t be any hand-written shaders anymore. Next they’ll focus on Nier and improve the graphics implementation.
- Gnm reverse engineeringParsing PM4 command buffers and some other formats to recover the original Gnm calls.
- Still a lot of work.
- Vulkan backendTranslate Gnm calls into vulkan calls. Far from complete.
- Shader recompilerTranslate GCN bytecode into Spir-V bytecode. Far from complete.
- AudioBasic implementation.
- GamepadBasic implementation.
- Dynamic linkerTLS support is not complete yet, and possibly neither are some other initialization functions.
- System resource management, ie. Thread, virtual memory, synchronize object, file, clock.For functions which do not require system resource (e.g: math functions),
we’ll use the system libraries directly.For others, we will try to implement them, one by one.
PS4 Emulator is not made for illegal activities, and they have a strict policy about piracy. All resources are obtained via a reverse engineering of legally owned devices, games, and information present on the internet.
The main objective of this project is to enhance the gaming experience, research, and provide education about the core concepts of device emulation.
System Requirements For GPCS4
To run or develop GPCS4, a CPU supporting AVX instruction set as well as a graphics card supporting Vulkan are required.
Currently, only Windows build is supported.
- Format: exe
- Size: 6.70 MB
- Developer: Inori
- Version: first release 11/2020
Download GPCS4 here.
The Play Station 4 Emulator Project for desktop is free and it does not need any shady download server conditions.